A chess clock is a basic instrument that is required to play the chess game. It consists of two adjacent clock faces with two buttons. Your chess clock runs at the time of your move until you make your move. And push the button that pauses your timer and activates your opponent’s timer.
NEED FOR THE CHESS CLOCK
It is an important instrument in the chess game. Most importantly, managing time is part of your game. And should be treated as a third opponent. If you use this or Chess Stopwatch while you are playing, you can get better at chess. Because it forces you to think within a timely manner. And adds consequences if you don’t. Most importantly, it is very fair. Because the other person you are playing against will have the same time on their clock as you do yours.
WHY ONE SHOULD BUY THE CHESS CLOCK?
We all have a good understanding of buying Chess Sets. Buying a chess clock is a smart decision for chess players and the reasons are as follows:-
- According to several studies, playing chess helps in improving cognitive thinking, problem-solving skills, and memory. And if played with chess watch it enhances your skills.
- Even if you are not getting any smart, your friends and family will think you are smarter. Because you have a nice set in your home or office. And would certainly add up to your status and help in time management too.
- Chess is a lot of fun! And it is more fun when there is a straight competition. Further, with no advantage given to any player in order of extra time for any move by using a chess clock timer.
WHICH IS BETTER?
ANALOG CHESS CLOCK
Analog clocks are the oldest ones and their designs are quite amazing. These clocks usually do not have extra features they simply reduce time to each player. In some of them, a small flag is activated when the time for a player gets over. They are for sure great decorative items.
DIGITAL CHESS CLOCK
However, Digital watches are obviously more modern and they offer a variety of functions. So, basically, it’s all about choosing between practicality and aesthetics. Certainly, they are quite affordable these days.
Digital Chess Clocks are more recommended these days. Not only by us but by other players as well. This is because of the following reasons-
- With fewer moving parts, they are less likely to break.
- Chess tournaments give preference (or even require) digital clocks with the delay feature.
- They are fun! It’s exciting to see exactly how many seconds your opponent has left!
ARE THERE ANY ALTERNATIVES
There are various applications available on play store or apple store that is used as an alternative to the analog or digital chess watches that work as chess stopwatch. For example, some of the names of such applications are-
However, these applications lack some features that make them less demanding than the real chess clock. Even, Chess timer applications are not of preference in professional games or practice sessions.
WHICH IS THE BEST SELLING CHESS CLOCK IN INDIA?
The DGT2010 is the official chess clock of the World Chess Federation FIDE. It was tested and approved by top international arbiters for the use of all the FIDE events. The DGT2010 has many pre-set options for all popular timing systems. And additional options for manual settings. Most importantly, all manual settings are stored in the clock’s memory. It is easy to program, with multiple periods possible in all timing modes. Time and move counter corrections are possible during the game.
DGT 2010 is a popular game timer for all games such as Chess, Draughts and Scrabble due to its fun options such as hourglass and gong. It consists of very smooth lever operation, a large display, optional buzzer, and player color indication the DGT2010 is a great all-round game timer.
CHESS CLOCK TIPS
There are certain points which one should remember while using a Chess clock:-
1. Always remember to press your clock after you have moved.
2. Don’t forget to check whether your opponent has lost on time. It is the responsibility of the player to point out that his opponent has lost on time.
3. Press the clock with the same hand with which you have moved the piece. It is against the rules to keep a finger on the button or to hover over it.
4. You must not pick up the clock or punch it forcibly. This can lead to you forfeiting the game.
5. Keep score carefully so that you know when you have reached the time control.
6. Make sure you know what the time limit is before you start to play!
We hope we were able to convince you, to get that Chess Clock you had be eyeing on!